Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Bunch of Randomness

So, I got my computer back this week. A friend of mine took a look at it after my hackers took control of the cursor for the second time (see “The Case Against TC” and The Dangers of Social Media"). You don’t know how violated you feel when you realize that your every move has been seen by a hidden force that has a vendetta against you. And just imagine someone taking control of your computer while you’re on it and not allowing you to move your cursor or start inserting typos as you type. It’s scary and very unnerving.

When I first got my computer, I called her Mandy. Recently, I started calling her Christine (yup, like in that old Stephen King movie) because she’s possessed. As I said before, these hackers are experts at hiding their spyware, so I’m sure they’re still lurking in the background even though my friend attempted to get rid of them. I’m also pretty sure that these are the same people/hackers who keep listing the old version of my novel Zaire’s Place on Amazon for 40-50 bucks. They put the ad up and then take it down almost weekly, trying to auction it off to the highest bidder.

Just for the record, the paperback version of Zaire’s Place is out of print. As I said on my website, I am no longer affiliated with the publisher who published it (after a royalty dispute, we parted ways). I spoke my mind about the issue on Amazon and my website and I’m moving on. I have bigger fish to fry. Besides, I’m sure no one is foolish enough to buy that old version at such a ridiculous price. (But be sure to purchase the Kindle version, which is the only version that should be available. *ends shameless plug*)

Until I can get another computer, I’ll continue to use Christine as a word processor and go to the library for other things (not that the library’s computers are any safer, but it’s better than nothing). I know…this blog post is a total snoozefest so far. It’s taking me a second to get back into this blogging thing again (it’s been such a long time since I wrote my last post). Anyway, as you can see, this post is a conglomeration of my thoughts, hence the title “A Bunch of Randomness”.

Moving on. I have been fortunate enough to be staying with someone who has cable and I have been taking full advantage of it. I didn’t realize how much I missed cable until I laid hands on that remote. As soon as I began to search the “On Demand” section, I began to salivate at all that I had missed (music videos, my news shows, “Drop Dead Diva” on Lifetime.). *sighs in contentment* Cable is such a good thing.

I spend a lot of time watching music videos, especially Chris Brown’s. (Yes, I’m in love with him even though I wouldn’t want to be caught dead in a room with him…oh, the irony.) I’m amazed at how white-washed black music videos have become. Back in the day, you would see various shades of black women shaking their rumps for the camera. (Well, mostly light-skinned women.) Today, our black brethren have no qualms about having white women grace their presence and the black girls are sprinkled here and there. For example, when Chris Brown first came out, black girls were prominently featured in his videos (“Say Goodbye”, “With You”). Not lately. It’s kind of sad.

On one hand, I wouldn’t want any of my sistas on some of these “ho-deos”, but on the other hand I’m dismayed that our brothers don’t see us as attractive enough to feature us as sex symbols and would rather go out of our race. Of course this topic has been debated ad nauseam, especially with the light skin/dark skin dynamic. But now it’s taken on a new layer as white women are becoming the norm in our videos. It makes me wonder how things will be when my little girl grows up (not that I would want her to watch any of the hip-hop videos anyway). But it crosses my mind.

Another topic: politics. If you follow me on my Facebook page (Facebook.com/ZairesPlace), you know that I have been going off on political spiels and sharing my thoughts on the election almost every day. This race has made so many emotions well up in me because of the ugliness that it’s unveiling about race in this country, about class in our society.

Most of ya’ll already know that I’m so pro-Obama that’s it’s not even funny.And it makes me want to scream because of how they (the Repubs) are lying on him and belittling all his accomplishments (that new movie about the supposed Bin Laden leaks come to mind).

There’s a lot at stake for this election. I can’t imagine what this country would become if Romney and his cronies get elected. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen. And if Obama does get elected again (fingers crossed), let’s pray that he gets some balls and rough-handles those Republicans so he can get this country on the right track. As Spike Lee said on “Piers Morgan”, once a president wins a second term, he is more likely to do whatever he wants because his job is no longer at stake. Let’s hope so. We’ll see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. It's so messed up that the drama with the possessed computer won't go away. I do hope everything works out.

    As for cable, I've cut the wire for 2 years now, and I really don't miss it at all. As for my favorite show (Drop Dead Diva), I watch it online. You can stream the new season. These days, they show the one that aired on Sunday on Thursday. Eh, I may have to wait extra time to watch a show, but it's still "free."

    ReplyDelete