Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Art of the Curse Word

In Zaire’s Place, I curse…a lot. My character Aisha Carter has a potty mouth on her and I couldn’t imagine it any other way.

Sometimes, there’s nothing that aptly shows anger, frustration, or pain other than a curse word. When a person stubs their toe, the first thing out of most people’s mouths is a big fat “shit”. Does it stop the pain? Nope. But I’m willing to bet that you feel better after saying it.

The way a person strings together curse words can be indicative of their personality/their background. A person who curses regardless of who is around lets you know they are an open book who doesn’t care about censoring themselves to obtain the approval of others.

Personally, I tend to curse, but I’m careful who I do it around. While my character Aisha has an “I don’t give a fuck” attitude, I tend to be more cautious. But you know something? Out of all the women in Zaire’s Place, I actually like Aisha the most. First of all, she reminds me of my mother. Second of all, I admire her ability to ‘do her’ regardless of who happens to be around. Does she have a lot of bad traits? Absolutely. But who doesn’t? To me, Aisha is one of the most authentic characters in my novel.

I don’t think Zaire’s Place would have been as rich if Aisha didn’t splash profanity everywhere. There are a lot of women out here like her and Zaire’s Place reflects that. As I said before, the old saying that art reflects reality is true, and it should reflect real life. If it doesn’t, it should be labeled a fairy tale and only read by those who don’t want to face the real world.

Many people will shy away from Zaire’s Place because of the profanity. I’m okay with that. There’s an audience for everything. I would rather be true to my version of what my art should look instead of trying to appeal to the masses. No one can do me like me.

By the way, studies have shown that cursing relieves stress and can actually lower blood pressure. I can believe it. There’s a lot of power in those forbidden words. Do I recommend dropping f-bombs everywhere you go? Hell no. *wink wink* But every now and then, only a curse word will do.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post....I'm one that doesn't find any art in cursing, but we can agree to disagree on that point.

    Interestingly, it wasn't so much because my parents taught me not too, because they did curse occasionally. But I have a distinct memory as a young teen where I had a conversation with myself, after expressing myself with curse words, and deciding it was not for me, and as sexiest as it may sound, I didn't think it was very becoming on any woman.

    As such, I did start Zaire's Place and wasn't expecting the lanquage at all so I haven't been able to pick it back up yet. I do realize though that it is reality and hope to finish it for the essense of the story alone. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Shelly. Thanks for stopping by. You deleted your first comment?

    At any rate, I respect your opinion. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, which is why I placed the first three chapters on my website so people could read it and decide if it was for them or not.

    P.S. I guess I'm really unlady-like because I curse a lot. LOL ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey T.C.

      My first comment was exactly the same, except I corrected my typos, LOL. I didn't know it would show that I deleted it.

      About the first three chapters you posted, umm yeah, I thought about that AFTERWARDS, LOL. I didn't read them.

      Nevertheless, like yourself I respect your choice in representing your characters. Trust me, I don't judge, and I'm sure you are lady-like. :-)

      I'm back in school so it may take me a minute to finish your book, but I will and post a review. Afterall it's real life and I don't live in a bubble.

      Delete
    2. Hey, Shelly. I would like to think I'm lady-like. ;-)

      I look forward to hearing what you think about ZP. I'm sure you won't be like some of those nasty reviewers I heard about who attack the author personally (I'll never understand that). LOL

      Peace and blessings, hon, and good luck with school.

      Delete