Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Are You Going to Have a Summer Fling?

Spring is here. Pretty soon people are going to be outside flaunting their taunt (or not so taunt) bodies and looking for some good lovin’. They’re going to be excited about that person who makes their heart chirp like the birds that cause a ruckus in the wee hours of the morning.

This is the time of year when people line up their summer fling (or flings) and go out to dinner, the park, etc. Yup, in the spring, people and their bodies come alive. But not on this end. Getting some spring lovin’ is the furthest thing on my mind. When you’re trying to straighten the pieces of your life out, ‘getting a piece’ is the last thing you think about.

I, for one, think relationships are a distraction. As women, we tend to get wrapped up into the man we deal with and drop everything else. I would like to hope that I’m not that kind of woman, but sadly I am. I have been known to not return a few calls when I was wrapped in the arms of a current beau before my daughter came along.

When you’re courting someone or in a relationship, your mind focuses on that person even when you’re not with them. As someone who is trying to achieve my mission of becoming an established author, I don’t have time for a fractured mind. Thoughts that are focused on something else mean less attention to my mission.

Not to mention the fact that I have a little girl. I can’t imagine trying to get intimate with another man now that I have her. She’s young and attached to me at the hip. I can’t imagine having someone watch her while I go out and spend time with a fling. And as a mother, I couldn’t imagine bringing a man around her. With all that’s going on out here in the world, you have to be careful who comes into your child’s circle.

Do I think about those warm summer days outside with a man lounging on a park bench? Do I think about getting on the dance floor and getting so close that I absorb his scent? Do I think about those warm nights where the sheets stick to you and your man as you engage in gymnastics? Nope. I don’t miss them at all.

I’m too busy wrapping my arms around my daughter, and to be honest with you, I don’t feel like I’m missing out on a thing. There aren’t a whole lot of quality men out here anyway. If I change my mind, I’ll let you know, but I doubt it. I'm not going to knock anyone who wants to get their groove on, though. Go out there and knock yourself out, but remember to choose wisely.

In closing, let me leave you with an old favorite song of mine by Biz Markie. Enjoy.

Biz Markie
"Spring Again"

No comments:

Post a Comment