Monday, March 19, 2012

Ride The Rough Patches


These past five years have been difficult for me…bad decisions, financial ruin, the loss of a loved one. There were so many times when I wanted to throw in the towel and just lie on the side of the road and give up. However, in the difficult times, there were specks of light…the birth of my daughter, the publication of my novel, etc. Yes, I got involved with a shady publisher. However, I have faith that even that bad experience is preparing me for something greater.

Here’s the thing: Life is rough. It always has been and always will be. What we have to learn to do—what we have to learn to master—is how to ride the rough patches of life. Over the course of my hellish five years, I have learned the following:

There’s always a bright spot. I got pregnant during a time when I shouldn’t have (when I was unemployed) and it led to a downward financial spiral. But when I look at my baby girl…when she smiles at me or kisses me…I know that I wouldn’t have it any other way. She was meant to be in my life. She was meant to give me the joy that I didn’t have before. Even in the darkness, there is always a bright spot. What you think shouldn’t be there—what you think is a mistake—is probably what the Lord put there for your greater good. Which brings me to number two.

All things work together for your good. Okay. Many times even I have trouble accepting and believing this one. How can this horrible situation be working for my greater good? I ask in the midst of a troubling time. It may be difficult for you to see it, but it does. Check this out. If I never would have been picked up by my ex-publisher, I would have given up on writing all together (the thing that I love the most). Because I got involved with them, I started a blog, got involved with social media and then went on to self-publish my own novel. I’m just starting out on my path, but I can see how things are lining up and falling in order.

What seems like the end is only the beginning. At first, I didn’t see a way for my novel Zaire’s Place to be published again. But then the means to an end revealed itself to me. Someone put an idea in my head and I went from there. Now, I have embarked on a new beginning, one where I am in charge of my creative content. When a door closes, you may cry, shake your fists at the universe for the unfairness that life dishes out and feel downtrodden. However, that end is paving the way for your new beginning. Try to remember that.

I’m not close to getting out of my rough patch. As a matter of fact, I’m still deeply entrenched in it. I don’t even see a way out of it. However, I am determined to have faith that things will get better for me. They have to. It is that unwavering faith that allows me to “ride the rough patches” of life. And I hope you will, too.

4 comments:

  1. Hi T.C. I "HOPE" you haven't forgotten about MondayMarketing - nothing shady there. Just want share the good stuff people have to offer. We tweet each other good ;-) http://www.kenyagjohnson.com/blog/2012/3/18/monday-marketing-5.html That aside, love your unwavering faith. I clicked over from Twitter. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kenya. I'm lovin' the play on words. ;-)

      Nope, I haven't forgotten you. With the re-launch of my book things have been really hectic. I'm keeping it in mind, though. And thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I've said it before and I'll say it again...I just believe there is such greatness in store for you! I believe you are going to be that person that the same ones who tried to bring you down will be coming to you asking for assistance. You have such a sweet and real spirit and a fantastic, much-needed, timely message to spread that you are going to look back on these days and wonder how and why but know that it was nothing but the hand of God that got you where you are. I believe you are going to truly appreciate and be humbled when (not if, but when) you get to that point because you had to work hard, fight, cry, get mad, etc. While typing these words, author, publisher, and motivational speaker all came to mind! Stick with it Diva. You are going to be blessed and a blessing to many! Claiming it for you and keeping you covered in prayer and support whenever you need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I'm speechless at your words and your conviction. Thank you for having such faith in me and I thank God for placing you in my life. The internet is such a powerful thing and I'm glad it brought us together.

      I'm putting your words in my 'inspirational file' where they belong. Thank you, Diva!

      Delete