Sunday, February 12, 2012

I Can’t Stand Valentine’s Day

f**k
Here we go. *sighs* Valentine’s Day is this Tuesday, but I’m sure most of you already celebrated with your men, or women (for the few men who are reading this post) over the weekend. I hate Valentine’s Day with a passion. There…I said it.

Back in the day, I would show how deep my disdain for Valentine’s Day was by telling everyone I came in contact with 'Happy V.D.' Yup, you read that right…VD as in venereal disease. It gave me a great amount of satisfaction to put a stain on a day that I hated so much.

Maybe I hated Valentine’s Day so much because out of the 38 years that I have been alive, I only had two Valentines on the actual day. My other Valentine’s Days were spent hiding out in my house hoping the day would quickly pass so I could resurface again.

What was supposed to be a day to show the people in your life that you love them has now become so commercialized that single people feel like they are the scum of the Earth. If you don’t have someone to buy you chocolates, to shower you with jewelry or take you to a movie, you feel like your worth has reached an all-time low. Valentine’s Day has taught most people that it is better to be linked up no matter what the cost.

This year I feel slightly different about Valentine’s Day. I have absolutely no desire to be linked up. After dealing with my daughter’s father, I have now been cured of the need to be with another man. Oh, you’re going to say that I’ll get over it. Hmmmm. After all I’ve been through, I don’t think so.

This Valentine’s Day also feels different because I have been introduced to the love of my life…my daughter. She’s going to be the one that I hold and tell her how much I love her. She’s going to be the one that I’ll look deep into her eyes and savor the rich “chocolatetyness” of them. She’s going to be the one that I cherish, that I hope will be with me forever.

To all you single folks out there, Happy Valentine’s Day. Don’t let your worth be defined by this one day. And if it makes you feel any better, those folks who are coupled up are probably miserable. They’re just putting on a show. I love you and ‘Happy VD’. ;-)

9 comments:

  1. I think I pegged this one right:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Zoe. I'm not sure what you mean by pegging it right, but I think I understand from your comment on FB. It's crazy how people get about this commercialized day. I had no idea that people spent so much. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been a fan of the day. Honestly, I always wore black for the day, and refused to have a valentine while dating. It was annoying. But things changed when my daughter was born. I don't mind making cookies, and cards for her aunt's and uncles, because it's okay (at least for me).

    I think that if a person wants to say they love someone, they need to do that on the other days where it really counts. VDay, it's just expected, and I hate things that are expected.

    I'm going to enjoy Vday with my daughter, and hopefully share with her that you don't have to be hooked up to enjoy the day. Sharing it with people who you love does not mean you can't share it with family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everything changes when you have a child. My views on Valentine's Day changed because of mine...I love my baby girl so much (even when she gets on my nerves).

      And ditto for hating things that are expected. Enjoy your day with your daughter, hon.

      Delete
  4. I'm the opposite. I feel what you must have gone through to feel the way you do. My heart fell as I red your lines. It might not encourage you but, I turn 60 this Thursday and haven't been without a Valentine since I was about 15. I must admit that it feels like cheating when you marry your childhood sweetheart. I met my best friend in the second grade. Yep, in the same class. When I ran into her again in college, I did let her go. This July, that will have been 40 years ago. I can't wait to run home today and have a cozy little Valentine dinner just her and I. You see, I love her with every inch of my heart. I always have... She make my heart sing. I spoil her every chance o get. I pray you can find joy in your heart in the love that I'm sharing. Happy valentine's day from my sweetheart and o to you, Ty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, Jerriell, how sweet! My heart got mushy as I read your comment (and I mean that sincerely). There is a soft spot still left in my heart that wants to find love. It's a small, small spot. LOL

      I'm glad to see that some relationships do last. Congrats on 40 years and here's wishing you and your love many more! Happy Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  5. Sorry I meant, I didn't let her go...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's how I feel about vd (haha) too. My ex made me hate it because out of 365 days of the year you only treat me nice on one of those days and I am supposed to show you love when I'm bitter. Show me love everyday please!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, ImaQween, glad to know I'm not alone in my disdain for VD (smile). Yup, don't try to give me love on one day. Show me every day of the year. Amen to that.

      Delete