Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Beware Of Unscrupulous Publishers

My publisher, All Things That Matter Press, just canceled my contract for my novel Zaire’s Place after I questioned the accuracy of my royalty check. I believe their decision was unjust and want to warn other authors out there to beware of this publishing company.

I received a royalty check for my fourth quarter sales today for only $33.44. First of all, it was a handwritten check and the slip that went with it detailing the amount of Kindles I sold was very unofficial/unprofessional looking. It didn’t even include my royalties for paperback sales. 

I sent them an e-mail asking them about my paperback sales since there was no mention of it on the “invoice”. I also told them that I would not be cashing the check until I spoke to someone about it. They, then, sent me and e-mail notifying me that they are canceling my contract and removing my novel from distribution.

Allow me give you some back history. I signed with them back in March of 2011, but my book wasn’t published until October 2011. After I signed on, I noticed some dubious practices that made me question whether or not they were on the “up and up”, one of which, I believe, was to fake a review for the CEO’s book in order to increase sales.

Because I was beginning not to trust them, I kept detailed records of my ranking on Amazon to cover my back. Amazon doesn’t tell you how many books you sold, but they do provide you with a ranking. I also kept track of two other authors from the publishing house so I could have comparison points. The amount of spikes I had in my ranking on Amazon is not indicative of a $33.44 check. I believe that ATTMP canceled my contract because I questioned them and because our relationship had become strained due to past disagreements (I have e-mails regarding those). 

Unfortunately, it wasn’t until after I signed with them, that I was given information from other writers that they were a publisher to stay away from, one of which is this website called Absolute Write. I wish I would have known what I discovered sooner.

At any rate, I don’t want to write a book detailing my ordeal, but I’m trying to see who can assist me in going after this amoral publisher regarding my proper pay. Since it is in their contract that they can stop selling the work of an author at will, I would like to make sure they will not get any more money from the sale of my book. I would also like to make sure no other people fall victim to their unscrupulous practices.

To find out more about my work as an author, you can visit my website at www.tcgalltin.com. I plan to go after this company and alert other authors about them so they won’t make the same mistake I did.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you are going through this, TC. I don't know what your recourse is, but I bet other (savvier than I) people will. And if I can help in other ways, like passing on names of any presses I know, or if you decide to search for an agent, I'd be happy to. Your book sounds really interesting and I'm going to add it to my Wish List.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your support, Jenny, and thanks for joining my blog. I don't want Zaire's Place to die. I fought too hard to get the word out there about my book. I'll definitely have to think of new vehicles. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Wow T.C. this is crazy! When I published my book I used a company called 1st Books Library...I believe they changed to authorhouse now. Anyway since you have a full blown manuscript this may be a blessing in disguise...since you have a following already and proven interest in your book...get an agent! :-) They will sell your book to a publisher and you may land a huge book contract. See this as a step toward your book's destiny. More people need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Dietta. Thanks so much for your encouraging words. At a time like this, you don't know how much they mean to me.

      I originally tried to find an agent for Zaire's Place, but kept coming up blank. Agents praised the writing, but kept passing it over because they didn't know if they could sell it. Then I lost patience and went with ATTMP, but I didn't think they would cheat me. Well, maybe I knew they would cheat me, but not on this scale (enough to give me a $33.44 check when I know I sold more than that).

      Anyway, enough of the rambling. As you said, I'll look at it as step toward ZP's destiny. ;-)

      Delete
  3. FIGHT THE POWER GIRLFRIEND SEND IT TO WILLIAM MORRIS GO FOR THE BIG TIME MAYBE YOU CAN GET IT TURNED IN TO A MOVIE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one brought a smile to my face. Thanks for your support. ;-)

      Delete