Sunday, January 22, 2012

Someone Like Newt

Newt Gingri
Please tell me it isn’t so. I can’t believe Newt Gingrich actually won the South Carolina primary. I understand that during times of civil unrest, people try to elect the polar opposite of what it currently in office (we did it when we elected President Obama after George Bush), but this is unbelievable. How can someone with such a belligerent personality actually win a nomination for an office that showcases personality and character (both traits that Newt Gingrich is lacking)?

By all means, I’m no political pundit, but it doesn’t take an expert at politics to know that Newt can’t possibly have the interests of the entire American population at heart. Newt will not play fair. Newt is definitely not unbiased…just look at the ruckus he caused about how black people should want to get checks rather than rely on welfare. On what planet are sweeping, generalized statements about an entire group of people okay?

Obama is gracious. Obama has class. He has tried to work with the Republicans (to his detriment, might I add). There is nothing—absolutely nothing—about Newt Gingrich that would be compromising. He sees no gray—only black and white.

I’m trying to tell myself that it’s only South Carolina that would vote for someone like Newt…that it’s only the South that would vote for someone as cold-hearted and callous as Newt, but judging from all the vitriol thrown at our president since he has taken office, I’m not so sure.

If Newt wins the nomination, folks are saying Obama will slay him in the presidential election. I would hope so, but, again, I’m not so sure. South Carolina has shown us that there are a lot of people who think like Newt. Many of them may be right under our noses, but they keep their thoughts veiled, hidden in the proverbial closet.

I love my president. I support my president. Do I think the economy could be better? Yes. But when you have people like Newt and the Republicans who currently hold office blocking his every move, there’s not a whole lot that can get done. Besides, the economy is showing signs of coming back to life and I’m sure President Obama can continue to resuscitate it.

It’s a sad day in America when someone like Newt Gingrich wins a nomination in any state. Imagine what America would be like for minorities and progressives if someone like Newt Gingrich is president of the United States of America. The Tea Party likened Obama to Hitler (where they got that from is beyond me). If Newt Gingrich becomes president of the United States of America, a new Hitler would have been born and minorities, gays and liberals should get ready to be corralled up because Doomsday will be approaching.

4 comments:

  1. *claps violently* You're exactly right. Says a lot about the public perception of Black people...but, they want US to believe that racism is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ***hanging my head in shame*** my state has once again proved to show just how backwards and behind the times we are in race relations ***SMH***

    Very well said and I agree with you wholeheartedly. Many people believed that President Obama was "The Great Savior" for the economy, unemployment, foreign policies, etc. There was quite a bit of work that needed to be done and those that truly know and understand how our government works would know that he couldn't come in and change everything his first month in office. It didn't take us a month to get into the mess did it???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Michelle. My sentiments exactly. Rome wasn't built in a day. It's going to take a lot of work and a lot of cooperation from Congress to get us out of this mess. May God protect this country.

    ReplyDelete