Saturday, December 17, 2011

What To Throw Away And What To Keep

2012

I stopped making New Year’s resolutions a long time ago—mostly because by the time February rolled around I had already jumped off the resolution wagon. However, I do take stock of my life throughout the year and make note of where I want to be. I also write a year-end letter in my journal recapping the past year and committing to what I want to “manifest” in the coming year.

As 2012 comes closer, I find myself wondering what do I want to take into the new year? In questioning what I want to keep, naturally, the question of what I want to leave behind comes up. In honor of 2012, here’s my list:

What I Want To Leave Behind

Frenemies
For some reason, I have been a frenemy magnet this year (or perhaps I just woke up and began to notice all the frenemies in my midst). You know who your frenemies are…the ones who throw subtle jabs your way to make themselves feel better than you…the ones who outwardly wish you the best, but are secretly hoping for your demise. Unfortunately, I have too many of them in my life and I have begun the process of moving away from their negativity. You should, too.

Drama
Lord, have mercy—2011 has been so drama-filled for me that it left my head spinning. Drama seemed to come at me non-stop, and just when I thought things were beginning to quiet down, something else would pop up to get the whirlwind going again. Here’s to hoping 2012 will be quieter.

Negativity
I want to move away from negative people, including the negative person that lives in my head. The saying “you’re your worst enemy” became a saying for a reason. I could go on a negative cycle and get stuck spinning those thoughts like a washing machine spins clothes. That has to stop in 2012 and that means moving away from the people who keep me stuck in the spin cycle of negativity.

What I Want To Take Into 2012

Healthy Relationships
I’ve been blessed with a daughter that I love to pieces. Because of her, I have pressed on in spite of all the challenges I’ve faced. May God continue to let us spend our life together.

I also want to take true friends with me…those friends who stick by you when you’re down and out and have nothing. I’ve been blessed with a couple of them. Here’s to hoping I can spend more time with them in 2012.

Prosperity
I’m tired of being broke and broken down. I don’t need to be rich, but I’m praying that 2012 will bring me the financial stability I used to be blessed to have. I want my own: my own house, a reliable car…the basic necessities that make you feel better about your lot in life.

Discernment
This is a biggie. If you hone the gift of discernment, you will be able to weed out anything in your life that doesn’t enhance it…fake friends, financially unsound decisions, bad relationships, horrible business partners. With discernment, I can make better decisions that will put me safely in the driver’s seat of my life.

Well, that just about covers it for me. Happy New Year, everybody! Here’s to hoping our new year will be better than our last.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great list! I am also hoping that 2012 will be a better year. I don't know what it is, but it seems like 2011 is filled with so much heart ache. I want things to start for us on a good note.

    Like you, I don't have to be rich but just having a little extra would be nice. I'm hoping that we can all work towards our goals and make things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey BWN Babe,

    Yup, 2011 was rough...so much heartache. I want things to be better for the both of us as well. You totally deserve it. Let's do this thing--2012 is going to be the year, hon! ;-)

    Hey, Dietta! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete