Monday, November 28, 2011

We’re Gonna Be All Right

stay positive
In the end, it all works out.
If it hasn’t worked out, then it’s not the end. ~Unknown

For a number of years, this has been my favorite quote. I have a Type A personality. It doesn’t take much for me to get riled up and get my panties in a bunch. Many times, people have had to tell me to SMAD (sit my ass down) because they thought I would have a heart attack or pass out or something (yes, I get that worked up sometimes).

In my early twenties, when I worked at Coppin State University, my boss would constantly tell me that many of the things I got worked up over wouldn't matter in the long run. “So don’t worry about it, Tynette. Calm down,” he would say.

Over the years, I tried to remember what he told me. Yet, I still got worked up over the little things. I now realize how small they were. Life has taught me the hard way to recognize what the little things are. When you’re homeless trying to figure out the next place you’re going to lay your head, that off-handed comment someone said to you just doesn’t matter. That’s the greatest lesson I’ve learned over these last few difficult years, and it’s been a lesson worth absorbing.

Right now, the economy is still teetering on a cliff. We don’t know if we’re going to fall over or recover. People are still finding themselves homeless with no food to eat. Many families won’t be able to celebrate what is supposed to be a happy time of year. It’s rough out here. As I sit under the roof that I’m still blessed to have because of my mother, I think about how much worse things could be. I think about where I have been and where I want to go. I think about how things have fallen into place to get me where I would like to be. Even the things that were supposed to be for my bad have worked out for my good. (Thank you, Lord.)

That quote resonates with me because I have lived it. I can’t tell you how many times I found myself in a situation where I thought, “Wow, it actually worked itself out.” I am a living testimony of that quote and I hope to keep having it show up in my life.

No matter what you’re going through, you can get through it. No matter what is happening in your life, it is all happening for a reason. That reason will become evident and show itself when you least expect it.

In your toughest times, smile, and know that it’s all going to work out. Smile because you will see how and find yourself in a better place than you were before. This is my prayer for you. This is my prayer for me. Have a blessed Monday. And don’t forget to smile.

"Smile"
Kirk Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment