Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Troy Davis Train



Troy Davis is going to be executed in less than five hours. I saw the tweets, the e-mails and all the status updates begging the world to stop Davis’ execution but I wasn’t moved to action.

You see, I am for the death penalty. Yes, I know that supporters of Davis are citing the witnesses who recanted their statements. Yes, I know that racism is alive and well in America and that black people get prosecuted at a significantly higher level than whites. Yes, I know the police force is corrupt and they are smeared in dirty tactics that further their aims. However, I’m not buying it for this Troy Davis case.

There is talk that another man, a Sylvester Coles, was the real shooter and that a racist police force strong-armed witnesses to testify that it was Davis. Not buying it. The “racist” police force would not care less which black guy they punished for the crime. To them a nigger is a nigger is a nigger. So, they would have gone after Sylvester Coles without any hesitation if there was a significant amount of evidence implicating Coles as the real shooter.

Then there’s the witness intimidation issue. Out of all the witnesses who implicated Davis, you mean to tell me not one…not one…of them spoke out about being strong-armed by the police force back when this incident occurred? Even in the most horrendous situations, where fear is a constant threat, there is at least one person who is willing to speak up regardless of the consequences. One person out of that group would have said that the police was trying to intimidate them into giving a false statement. I firmly believe that the human spirit is stronger than giving in to coercion in the case of a strong-willed person. Yet, back then, no one admitted there was witness intimidation. Now some of them are coming out and saying they were intimidated? I’m not buying it.

Why was Troy Davis on the scene where a homeless man was being harassed in the first place? I’m sick and tired of black men claiming they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have a family member who tried to use this as his excuse even though he later admitted that he was guilty as charged.

It’s time we step up to the plate and ask for more from our black brethren. Instead of trying to stay an execution of a black death row inmate, why don’t we ask our boyfriends, our brothers, our uncles to stay out of situations where their innocence could be called into question if something goes down?

And to all those people asking for Obama to speak out on this issue…LEAVE OBAMA ALONE! He has bigger fish to fry than stopping an execution. White America wouldn’t expect former President Bush to try to stop the execution of every white man on death row, so why should we want Obama to step in to stay the execution of Davis?

This is one black woman who is not stepping on the Troy Davis train. I will pray for his soul, though. May he find peace.

5 comments:

  1. From Paul Dea (who e-mailed me this response):

    Hey Ty, I couldn't agree with you more - what's strange is they implicate someone else after 22 YEARS?? All of a sudden EIGHT people have clear memories and realize this isn't the guy?? Memories don't get clearer, it's the opposite. Do you know anyone that suddenly has a clearer memory of some incident 20 years ago? Doesn't make any sense. I agree with your comments - too many black men in the wrong place at the wrong time, it's an excuse that works, so everybody uses it. If you don't associate with the wrong crowd, chances are you won't find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its not an excuse that works, way too many black men are in the wrong place at the wrong time. I myself have been accused and almost jailed coming out of my house, harassed in my driveway, because I fit the description of a man 6 full inches shorter than me and wearing a different color. Not to mention I was in work uniform for one of the largest tour guide operations in north america. So it is possible to just be in the wrong place or "fit the description" Our justice system is based on beyond a reasonable doubt a man must be proven guilty, but you will easily condemn a man to death just because no one wants to make the hard step and admit the judicial system is fucked. Remember, after the death penalty, there is no constitutional review, there is no appeal, just silence. How many people will die before will you will stop being silent?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Usamediaphile,

    Thanks for your comment. I do agree that the system is "fucked" and that innocent people often get caught up. However, there are millions of people who actually commit a crime. Should they go unpunished because the system is "fucked"?

    In this instance, I am not moved to act.

    ~TC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you say. At first I was thinking about the race card, but then I did some searching (which I actually blogged about), and it's really not a race thing. Black, white, Hispanic, etc have all been the same position, and they have all been F'ed by the system.

    For me to say that these men are all innocent would be irresponsible on my behalf, but they system was not designed to prove a person's innocence only guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey BWN,

    Couldn't agree with you more about the system screwing minorities. It's a shame. And that's true...the system should be designed to prove a person's guilt. There definitely needs to be an overhaul of the justice system...something we both can agree on.

    ~TC

    ReplyDelete