Sunday, August 7, 2011

Those Backstabbers

“Women are like pennies, two-faced and worthless.”

Ouch!

I read that statement on a former coworker’s Facebook status and responded by saying “well dayum!”, but, unfortunately, part of me agreed with this observation.

Obviously, my friend had just been stabbed in the back by a fellow sista for her to post something like this, and she was venting. I found myself wondering what that sista did to make my friend so angry; however, I didn’t bother asking because I didn’t want to be nosy, especially not while she was ranting. Lord knows I didn’t want to be on the receiving end of her wrath. LOL

I have often said that we women can be our own worst enemies. We hate on one another, are jealous of each other, call each other names, etc. All those things roll off the tongue easily, but when it comes to complimenting each other, we keep our mouths shut.

In no case is this more obvious than the Fantasia fiasco. Women were quick to call her “hoodrat”, “ghetto trash”…the list goes on. I cringed when I heard the name-calling because it violates my definition of how real women are supposed to act. Real women stand up for one another, teach each other when we go wrong, motivate each other to do better. Instead, like crabs in a pot, we love to bring one another down and blast each other. Each woman is reduced to what she looks like, how she wears her hair, how she’s dressed, who she slept with, yadda yadda, and it’s the most pathetic way of acting out that I have seen.

Another example: I tweeted that Rihanna has an amazing body and was curious to see what some of the women on my TL would say. My cousin responded and said she thought the same thing and that you must give props where props are due. She didn’t think anything was wrong with my tweet or that I must be gay because I complimented Rihanna’s body. Well, maybe most women would publically agree with the Rihanna thing because we tend to compliment a famous person quicker than we would the hot girl next door. Many of ya’ll would give that sista a dirty look. Why is that?

Why can’t more women be like my cousin and me? Why can’t more women compliment each other, rather than shred each other up like a lion jumping on a piece of meat? Bad analogy, but you get the point.

I’m not going to go on and on because this subject has been visited time and time again and most of us have been on the receiving end of a devious, spiteful sista, so we know how it feels. To those of ya’ll perpetuating this hateful virus, I say this: Straighten up, ladies, because I’m so tired of this shat!

No comments:

Post a Comment