Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Incredible Shrinking Women

image: Jennifer Hudson
Can you please tell me why the media is celebrating the news that Jennifer Hudson is now a size zero? First of all, she doesn’t look like a size zero. Second of all, what kind of message is this sickly beast (a.k.a. the media) sending to women and young girls?

Some people would say the media is simply reporting the news, but, dahling, I disagree. If they were just reporting the news, these media outlets could have focused on the fact that Jennifer lost weight, not blast her size out to the world as if a size zero is a good thing. The same thing with little Raven Symone (she will always be the cute little girl from The Cosby Show to me). Her weight loss became a big deal and people focused on how attractive she is now. Um, hello…she was gorgeous before her weight loss. Another one: the divine Ms. Jill Scott. And yet another one...Kelly Price (talk about blast from the past). All these women caved in to the pressures of Hollywood to turn into the incredible shrinking woman.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying overweight people do not need to lose weight in order to be healthy. Our community, the African American community, is eating itself to death with the toxic things we put in our body. Hell, AMERICA is eating itself to death. It’s an epidemic. So, I understand why these women want to lose weight…to get healthy, to live longer lives. But are they really healthy? Did they lose that weight in a healthy way? I would bet my money (sorry, I don’t have much) that they didn’t. I would also bet my money that these women did it for vanity purposes to achieve a boost in their career.

Another thing: it’s okay to lose weight, but why is a size zero held up as some sort of ideal? Who wants to look thin, anorexic and sickly? Real women have curves. Let me say that again. Real women have curves. Beyonce. Alicia Keys. I didn’t have to say anything about them…just the mention of their names alone evoked pictures of curvaceous cuteness in your brain.

I don’t want my daughter to grow up thinking she has to puke her guts out in order to be beautiful. I want her to be happy, healthy, whole, and to me, that doesn’t equate to being a size zero. Like Monique once said, skinny bitches are evil because they don’t eat. Have a cupcake, sista. Have a cupcake.

2 comments:

  1. Well if she is suppose 2 be a size 0 then i must be a size 2 because she doesn't look like it 2 me

    ReplyDelete