Friday, August 5, 2011

Corporate America is Evil

Award-winning actress Monique once said “skinny bitches are evil.” I would like to take that one step further and say corporate America is evil. Well, at least it is to me. I spent the last thirteen years of my life pen-pushing and I abhorred it with a passion.

In 2007, I quit my full-time job because I got tired of the incessant office politics. I did temporary work to make ends meet and got more schooling in the hard-knock life of corporate America. Every time you turned around, someone was waiting to stab you in the back or use you to achieve their ambitious aims. I know...you find that in every area of life, but no where is it more acceptable than the business world, which is why it’s called “business.” (By the way, my definition of corporate America also includes the non-profit industry because, in many cases, it is just as bad as big business. Because of the scarcity of funds, non-profits have adopted the same M.O. that the for-profit industry operates by.) 

In corporate America, people who do the most and work the hardest are often treated unfairly. It’s a political game based on how much your boss, your co-workers, and others you come in contact with like you, and it is downright unfair. But I have learned the hard way that life is not fair.

In corporate America, you are simply a seat-filler. If you died today or tomorrow they would replace you and go on with their lives as if you never existed. Sure, they may do the necessary rites and say a few words, but that’s done out of propriety. Then it’s back to business as usual.

In corporate America, you are a product, and the only thing that matters is how much product you can push out. Everyone in corporate America acts like this statement is otherwise by doing the necessary “social” thing (office picnics, birthday celebrations, etc.), but when it comes down to it, those things are done out of necessity. The bottom line is that they are only interested in what you can do to break your back for the company.

Don’t get me wrong, I have found people in corporate America that I like and I'm friends with them today. But those people are of like mind…the sensitive, kind type who want to be part of a world where people are treated fairly and recognized for the hard work they do, rather than how well they fit in with the corporate crowd.

To be honest with you, I hope I never have to go back to the corporate ranks again. However, I am realistic and know that most writers aren’t able to eke out a living as a writer. I would be lying if I said I'm not keeping my fingers crossed though.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting and commenting, Dietta. I've visited your site before and loved it.

    TC

    ReplyDelete