Friday, July 29, 2011

Trickin'...I Understand Your Why


Prostitute
Yesterday, I was driving home from an appointment when I saw something that stopped me dead in my tracks. A woman got out of the car in front of me and I had to do a double-take. She had on powder-blue shorts that displayed her entire ass, the little piece of fabric that separated her butt cheeks was virtually non-existent. Obviously, she was trickin’ and had just serviced her John.

I couldn’t help but stare as she went on the curbside, waiting to be picked up again. When our eyes met, she rolled hers…a look that said, “Bitch, don’t judge me.” If she only knew.

No, I wasn’t judging her. Actually, I was thinking about all the things that led her from where she was to where she is now. I was thinking about her life…what happened to make her start trickin’? Judging by her body movements, she definitely had a drug habit. But I began to wonder if she had children…a child that was waiting for her to come home. A child that told her, “Mommy, I’m hungry.” Was she tricking so she could take care of that innocent little kid who had no idea what was going on? All these questions danced around in my mind as I pondered her situation.

The lessons I have learned the hard way these past few years have taught me not to be so judgmental of other people’s decisions because I could have been them. I could have been the drug addict. I could have been the prostitute. I could have been the mentally ill person who went on a shooting spree. It’s only by the grace of a higher power that I’m not.

No, I wasn’t judging her at all. Even though I couldn't see myself doing it, I could understand her “why”.

No comments:

Post a Comment