Sunday, July 24, 2011

Got Religion? Nope

Okay, ya’ll…I know I have a potty mouth and all, but I make no apologies for that. However, this post is going to be different because it is a subject that I hold near and dear to my heart: the subject of believing in a higher power other than yourself. So cursing doesn’t belong here (even though when I’m angry I have been known to use God and a swear word in consecutive succession). I don’t care what you call that higher power (the Universe, Jehovah, Allah, etc.); what matters to me is that you believe in something—something that helps you make sense of the things that happen in this crazy, chaotic world.

I used to be religious, but now I’m spiritual. What does that mean? It means that I am disenchanted with the idea of organized religion, so I choose not to go to church in order to worship my Creator. As a spiritual person, I believe that I am just as close to God as the Bible-toting churchgoer who screws everybody over when he’s not within the confines of the “Lord’s house”. It means that I commune with my Creator through nature, through meditation and through treating others how I would like to be treated.

These past few years have been rough for me and it is my spiritual foundation that has kept me going. I can find inspiration in a song, in a quote, in a note that a friend gives me. I no longer look at one source of inspiration for my strength (religion), nor do I see religion as the “end all, be all” way to worship my Maker. 

So, in closing, I want to leave you with two songs. Now, I know Alicia Keys was talking about her personal relationship with a man when she wrote “No One”, but when I sing it, I think of my relationship with God, my higher power. The same thing goes with Sade’s “By Your Side”. It is my higher power who has been by my side through my homeless episodes, through me having my precious baby girl, through me being unemployed. And for that, I say thank you, Lord, and I don’t need to be in a church to praise Him.


Alicia Keys
"No one"



Sade
"By Your Side"

2 comments:

  1. Well said Tynette. I could not have said it any better. Love you and keep on inspiring to ready more.
    Jaki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is a pleasant surprise! Thanks, cuzzo, for reading! :-)

    ReplyDelete